Rifan Ibnu Rahman from Institut Teknologi Bandung will be the 2012 Debater of the Year when the count ends at turn of the year after he outmatched his own coaches last week to win this year's Founders Trophy. Most of his closest rivals competed in FT 2012 but they failed to shine. The results made Rifan cement his pole position, which he has held from February. The ongoing WUPID 2012 may boost a few debaters but with 16 points above any of his rivals, Rifan is in no threat.
Rifan won 5 tournaments this year - PNDC, ITS Open, IPSDC, Jakarta Mini and FT- and grabbed 2 best speaker awards from PNDC and AEO. He competed in 9 competitions that can be counted for DOTY. In all of those events, he could earn points. Rifan, the former president of ITB's English debating club, came second in last year's race to be DOTY. The DOTY 2012 title will be a sweet end to his undergraduate varsity debating career. He has been accepted to work for Unilever this year.
The November list of DOTY also has a number of new entrants from Sulawesi. The Makassar Debate Open, which previously was a local South Sulawesi tournament, attracted participation from debaters from four other provinces, including those from the main island of Java, making it a nationwide tournament. Debaters from Central Java's Universitas Jenderal Soedirman, who were already on the DOTY list, won MDO but the rest of the other good performers came from the eastern island.
The top 10 as of November 2012 are:
1. Rifan Ibnu Rahman (Institut Teknologi Bandung)
2. Invi Atmanegara (Binus International)
3. Dennys Kapa (Universitas Indonesia)
4. Cindy Fransisca (Universitas Atma Jaya)
5. Jaran Walia (Binus International)
6. Dwita Aryani (Universitas Parahyangan)
7. R. Aryo Febrian (Universitas Bakrie)
8. Sabarudin Adinugroho (Binus University)
9. Rosmiyana (Binus University)
10. Elghafiky Bimardhika (Universitas Indonesia)
Click here for full table