Seeing an Indonesian team performing in the main elimination stage of the United Asian Debating Championships continues to be elusive. The highest ranked from Indonesia in UADC 2014, Universitas Gadjah Mada 2 (Erwina Salsabila, Nabila Aghniarizqa, Romario Tambunan), reached #30, missing the top 24 break on speaker points.
The good news is 6 Indonesian squads broke into the English-as-Foreign-Language knockouts with UGM 2 leading the way. Since UADC started in 2010, every edition had an all-Indonesian EFL final. The streak would prevail if the Indonesians could beat 2 teams from China. Here is the EFL break list, which came out late today due to technical errors. In brackets are the teams' win-lose record in the preliminaries and overall rank.
1. Universitas Gadjah Mada 2 (5-3, #30)
2. Binus International 1 (4-4, #61)
3. Shanghai University of Finance and Economics 1 (4-4, #64)
4. Binus University 1 (4-4, #65)
5. Institut Teknologi Bandung 1 (4-4, #69)
6. Institut Teknologi Bandung 2 (4-4, #76)
7. Universitas Atma Jaya 1 (3-5, #78)
8. Sun Yat Sen University 1 (3-5, #80)
Indonesia has presence in another form in UADC. Two Universitas Indonesia students, Boby Andika Ruitang and Colley Windya, along with Arifian Adin from Institut Teknologi Bandung qualified to adjudicate the out rounds. Main and EFL knockouts start tomorrow.