Champions: University of Sydney 2 (Daniel Swain, Paul Karp, Nina Ubaldi)
Finalists: Victoria University of Wellington 1 (Asher Emanuel, Jodie O'Neill, Nick Cross)
Best Speaker: Daniel Swain (University of Sydney 2)
ESL Champions: International Islamic University 1 (Syed Saddiq, Mubarrat Wassey, Ameera Moore)
ESL Finalists: University of Hong Kong 2 (Griffith Chen, Rayna Wang, Helena Hu)
ESL Best Speaker: Syed Saddiq (International Islamic University 1)
Best Indonesian Speaker: Elghafiky Bimardhika (Universitas Indonesia 2)
Best Indonesian Team: Universitas Indonesia 1 (Aulia Anggita, Dennys Kapa, Egalita Irfan) - #1ESL and ESL Quarterfinalists
R1 - Education
1. THBT universities should not have patents.
2. THW abolish tenure for university professors.
THBT states that don't provide free tertiary education should subsidize
career paths for students that are useful for the state.
R2 - Sports
1. THBT the English Premier League should significantly limit the number of foreign players per team
2. THBT professional sporting clubs should only be owned by the local authority of the area they represent.
3. THBT we should ban players' unions in major sporting leagues
R3 - Crime
1. THBT we should require criminal judges to be employed in a prison for 6 months prior to appointment to the bench.
2. THBT illegally gathered evidence and information should be admissible in criminal trials
3. THBT individuals who commit minor crimes should be allowed to convert their sentences into corporal punishment
R4 - Media
1. THBT we should require all free-to-air TV stations to have and adequately fund 60min of ad-free news in prime time.
2. THBT journalists should be required to lodge their sources with a press council for verification.
3. THBT CEOs of major news companies should be democratically elected in open public elections.
R5 - Economics
1. THBT countries should not seek to regulate digital currencies like the Bitcoin
2. THBT prohibit credit rating agencies from disclaiming legal liability for the inaccuracy of their ratings
3. THW make lenders liable for the losses of low-income customers who are not given independent legal advice
R6 - Social Politics
1. THBT we should make legislative deliberations & decisions on
retirement age and superannuation private, anonymous, confidential and
by the secret ballot.
2. THBT we should support granting private administrative control of cities on the basis of charters
3. THBT gay rights group should disavow the "Gay is the New Black" campaign.
R7 - United States
1. THBT the US should pay Chinese activists to combat the efforts of China's '50 Cent Party'
2. THBT Detroit should sell the Detroit Institute of Art's 1 billion USD collection to service its debts
3. THBT Obama should grant Edward Snowden amnesty from all charges
R8 - Women
1. THW refuse classification to films and TV shows that fail the Bechdel Test.
2. THW pay parental leave as equal and non-transferable portions of leave for each parent
3. THBT progressive women's groups should refrain from attacking female politicians regardless of their policies
OPEN Pre-OF - Social Policy
1. THBT the infanticide of newborns should not be punished beyond the penalty for unlawful late-term abortions
THBT it was wrong for parents to accept confidential settlements from
the Catholic Church on behalf of their children for abuse committed by
3. THBT Islamic states should set the curriculum of madrassas
OPEN OF - Environment
1. THBT we should abolish Green Belt regulations.
2. THW rewrite animal welfare standards to be uniform for each species of animal, regardless the animal's use/context.
3. THBT Obama should use the Environmental Protection Agency and other executive powers to aggressively combat climate change
OPEN QF - Middle East
1. THW support aggressive Palestinian protests, like property destruction, in illegal Israeli settlements
THBT the Muslim Brotherhood should cooperate with the Adly administration and accept cabinet positions for ending protests against the interim government
3. THBT we regret the rise of the nation state in the Arab World
OPEN SF - Law
1. THBT we should abolish the criminal law, expand tort law and provide extra funding for the litigants
2. THBT the standard or 'responsibleness' in criminal cases should
never be influenced by prejudicial assumptions, even if held by the
average person in that society.
3. THBT the tax offices should be allowed to retrospectively declare
acts of aggressive accounting, which expliot tax loopholes, illegal.
THBT women should be criminally liable for harm to foetuses in utero as a result of their lifestyle choices
ESL QF - Politics
1. THBT minimum standards of living should be legally enforceable in developing countries
2. THBT political parties should abolish their military wings
3. THBT we should select only women as diplomats to countries with poor rights standards for women
ESL SF - International Relations
1. THBT China should establish military bases overseas.
2. THBT Palestinians should not accept citizenship from Arab Nations.
3. THBT we should require UN approval for the giving of military aid
THBT the media should not have broadcast the footage of British soldier, Lee Rigby, being murdered in London.