Debaters from powerhouse Universitas Indonesia are now in the top 10 of the Debater of the Year list after victories in Java Overland Varsities English Debate and Jakarta Mini in July. UI debaters had a slow start in 2013 and failed to show prominence on the DOTY list for the last few months. They, however, look promising for the tournaments in the second half of the year.
UI's Magreta Kailla Adenta had the steepest climb to #4 from #32 after she bagged the best team and individual titles in JOVED, reached the final in Bawor Cup and broke into the semifinal in Jakarta Mini -- all in a month. Her schoolmate Dennys Kapa is back in top 10 after winning Jakarta Mini with partner Rifan Ibnu Rahman - the 2012 Debater of the Year who graduated from ITB last year.
The table leaders are still Universitas Gadjah Mada debaters Amir Abdul Aziz and Alif Satria who have the same total points. However, #3 Jaran Walia from Binus International is a point away. The only competition that contributed to the DOTY list in June was the International Humanitarian Law debate in Malaysia, which had a team from UGM led by Alif Satria. Their achievement of breaking into the main knockouts earned them bonus points. Results from Indonesia Debate Open and National Universities Debating Championship in August will likely change the composition at the top of the DOTY list.
DOTY 2013 list Top 10 as of July 2013
1. Amir Abdul Aziz (Universitas Gadjah Mada)
2. Alif Satria (Universitas Gadjah Mada)
3. Jaran Walia (Binus International)
4. Magreta Kailla Adenta (Universitas Indonesia)
5. Indriani Pratiwi (Universitas Gadjah Mada)
6. Invi Atmanegara (Binus International)
7. Dennys Kapa (Universitas Indonesia)
8. Dianty Widyowati (Universitas Gadjah Mada)
9. Nabila Aghniarizqa (Universitas Gadjah Mada)
10. Melisa Irene (Binus International)